Some breakfast choices are not giving your body a great start and include more refined carbohydrates and sugar than a donut! This sends your energy crashing soon after and sends your cortisol levels skyrocketing.
There are certain components in a meal which are needed to keep your cortisol levels low.
This will help to reduce feelings of anxiety as well as provide you with sustained energy to start your day right.
The ingredients which promote lower levels of cortisol include:
- Complex carbohydrates e.g. wholegrains
- Ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties e.g. cinnamon, fruit and vegetables.
Together these ingredients work together to keep your hormones balanced and on your side. Here are some easy breakfast swaps you can use to start your day on the right foot:
- Swap Coco Pops for Oats, Greek yoghurt, and a cup of berries with cinnamon.
- Swap a muesli bar which is often stacked with added sugar for one cup of Australian Natural Protein Company Pure Vanilla Bean Whey Protein with ½ cup of granola, 200g Greek yoghurt, and a sprinkle of coconut flakes.
- Swap an Up&Go for a smoothie using 1 scoop of Aus Natural Protein Organic Artisan Cocoa Whey Protein, banana, ½ mango and 1 cup of chilled milk.
- French toast with honey for French toast topped with ½ cup of ricotta, a sprinkle of pepitas and cinnamon.
- Try Aus Natural Protein Pure Vanilla Bean Grass-Fed Whey Protein in a pancake with fresh or frozen blueberries and sugar free maple syrup. Try our recipe for Vanilla Lemon Protein Pancakes by clicking this link.
Take home message: If you live a busy life keeping your stress levels as low as possible is essential for your physical and your mental health. Try these breakfast swaps to start your day right.